Sunday, May 22, 2011

Graphic Novel - Yummy (Neri)

Yummy : The Last Days of a Southside Shorty by G. Neri (Lee and Low Books, 2010) is a very powerful graphic novel. I read it for the James Cook Award Committee and it is on my short list for the award. We meet Thursday - I'll tell you who won at our last class. My other favorites are Hush and Almost Perfect, two books that I have previously blogged about.

Ultimately this book is about our failure as a society to help children in poverty. It is a biography of Robert "Yummy" Sandifer born in Chicago in 1984. He got his nickname because of his love of candy. His parents were continually in prison. His grandmother tried to care for him but had too many grandchildren to deal with. For family, Yummy turned to the Black Disciples Nation gang and by 11 years old, he was a hardened gang banger. Gangs used "shorties", young kids, to do dirty work because they knew they were too young for felony prosecutions. In the summer of 1994, Yummy's gang initiation goes horribly wrong when he accidentally kills an innocent young girl instead of a rival gang member. On the run, he eventually is killed himself by fellow gang members when the heat on them becomes too much. The illustrator, Randy DuBurke, created thick black line drawings set in the "comic book" frame format. They appear ugly. Appropriate for the story.

This book is a very quick read but has a lot of staying power. I would introduce it to middle and high school students by listing Yummy's crimes and then asking the question - was Yummy a born killer or a victim himself? Then I would say "would your answer be different if you knew that Yummy was 11 years old?"

10 comments:

Vanessa said...

I definitely need to look at this book--the graphic format for such a serious subject seems discordant to me, but when you describe the images as "ugly" it makes the choice of format more understandable. Sounds like a powerful story. Do you have to choose just one book for the award?

Kathy A said...

Hi Susan,
It sounds like you liked this one a lot more than Kelin did. I'm not sure I would be able to appreciate the dark colored graphics and the depressing subject matter. This is a time to remind myself that my school library needs to reflect my reader's tastes, not my own. I tell the kids at the begining of each year that if this were my library, it would be filled with craft books, and Pulitzer Prize winning novels. lol

Michelle Myers said...

I glanced at this one while int he library on Saturday, and ultimately left it on the shelf. I think I will have to go back and get it and give it a chance. As I was looking at it I had the same thought about the the drawings and that was part of why i left it. I agree with Kathy's comment about the libraries in our school. I really like you hook questions. These discussions always inspire some truly interesting conversation.

kgoode said...

I like your hook questions as well. Students need to have more conversations like this, especially students in inner-city schools.

Alyson Sims said...

I also liked your bookhook and I think many students who had a childhood like this boy would relate and hopefully they have made better choices. The question you ask will get them thinking and then to realize the child was only 11 and had such a "rough" childhood. You could also ask students what other outlets did he have, could he have made better choices?

Brooke said...

I think it is good that students can read books like this. Especially graphic novels that attract more reluctant readers. It sounds like the illustrator got his point acrossed well by using different shadings.

Susan Berg said...

Kathy's point, "This is a time to remind myself that my school library needs to reflect my reader's tastes, not my own" is so important. Our profession is dominated by women - we have to be especially careful to select materials that appeal to boys. I think both genders will like this book. The other titles I like for the Cook award will appeal mostly to girls..l

Rachel said...

This graphic novel fits well with our required reading articles on diversity. I am reminded of Booth's book Tyrell. Sometimes what is uncomfortable for us is another person's reality...and a peek at that reality may stir us or society to action. Also, great hook Dr. Berg! =)

Elyce Sharp said...

Great hook idea! This seems like such a heart-breaking story. My first reaction is to avoid it at all costs, but as Kathy said (and you echoed), I need to think of what students would read. I'll have to put this one on my list after some more upbeat titles.

Tara Brown said...

This sounds like a very serious book but the subject matter is close to a lot of students hearts. I like that the serious subject is in an easy to read format so that maybe reluctant readers will get into something that is substantial.